Saturday, February 5, 2011

Raspberry Scones

So this morning I decided to attempt scones for the first time.

For the first batch I followed this recipe for whole wheat raspberry scones.  For once, I actually followed the recipe. The only minor adaptation was a pinch of my secret ingredient... which goes in EVERYTHING I bake. And instead of scones, I pretty much ended up with round, flat, scone-like cookies. So fail.

Batch 2 consisted of the leftover dough from batch one. I added a cup of white flour and 1.5 tablespoons on baking powder. The results were slightly more risen than the first round, but still very cookie-like.

For the third batch, I added another tablespoon of baking powder, and maybe a teaspoon on baking soda. They came out basically the same as the second batch, except they were dark purple!

Alright, so batch 4: More white flour, baking powder, baking soda, and more RASPBERRIES! The consistency of the dough seemed a bit more appropriate, and as I watched them bake I began to get hopeful that maybe batch 4 was going to be the batch. As they come out of the oven, I was getting excited. I could barely wait a minute before I pulled one of the tray, broke off a corner, and ran to my room mate. "I think I've achieved scones." A bite later, "You have totally achieve scones." Batch 4 for the win!

No comments:

Post a Comment