Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Murdercake

So my dear friend's birthday is coming up, and when I asked him what sort of cake he wanted his reply was "murdercake." I pushed for clarification, and didn't get any. I have very special friends. So left to my own devices, this is what he's getting:

I picked up a heart-shaped silicone cake pan for $1 at Target last year, and I've only had a few occasions to use it since. So I made a heart-shaped red velvet cake. I took the cheap and easy route on this one, since it was the middle of the week, and I'm lazy. I started with a boxed yellow cake mix. Followed the directions on the box, and added some secret ingredient and about a quarter cup of sugar. Then I mixed in some chocolate pudding mix and a fair amount of red food coloring. I made two layers of that.

In between and on top, I made some vanilla frosting from scratch. It's a variation on a super easy recipe that my very good friend from high school taught me. It's basically just 1 part shortening, 4 parts powdered sugar and vanilla to taste. That's the frosting on top and between my layers of cake. I also made some red frosting and mixed in the frozen raspberries leftover from my raspberry scones to make the gore!

Alright so this is the first layer:

And this is the cake in progress:


The you just add the murder, and voila... MURDERCAKE!


No comments:

Post a Comment