Saturday, January 28, 2012

7-Up Cake and MOAR BAKLAVA!

I promised the boy I'd surprise him with 7-Up cake one day, because it's his favorite (though I had never heard of it until him). So I made it!

I followed this recipe that I found. I even went out and bought 7-Up (cause I don't usually buy soda). I followed the recipe pretty much to the t. Though, honestly, I didn't cream the butter and sugar for 20 minutes. That seemed a bit much and I am not very patient. I did let my Kitchenaid go at it for a good bit though.

While that was baking, I wanted to use up the leftover dough from the previous attempt at baklava. I followed the rough draft of the recipe, but mixed things up a little more this time. Instead of pistachios I went with chopped walnuts. I also used cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom in the nut mixture instead of cinnamon and cloves. I used the same spices again for the honey syrup. What can I say? I'm like my adventurous baking.

The 7-Up cake was super rich and buttery.

The boy definitely enjoyed it!

The baklava was again awesome.

I think it was even better than the first batch, but I also think I personally prefer the spices I used this time around, so that's just me. The container of them I brought into work disappeared before lunch, so I think my coworkers agreed that it was pretty tasty too!

No comments:

Post a Comment